Have bug bites at hair line of neck. Noticed swollen area on neck. Is this a lymph node?

Hi, I am a 38 year old female I have a couple bug bites at my hair line of my neck, but noticed yesterday a tender swollen area on the right side of my neck at the the base of my skull where the neck muscle is... I think its the longus capitis area. It's about a pea size but hard. It's still tender but not as bad as yesterday. Is this a lymph node and should I go see a doctor? I have had an AVMcomplete resection about 16 years ago.
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 27 minutes later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the details provided to me I feel it is a inflammed lymphnode probably due to bug bite in the nape of the neck. The lymphnodes usually gets enlarged close to the involved area and in you it is in the posterior triangle of the neck, probably occipital lymphnodes.

So I personally feel it to be an inflammed occipital lymphnodes and requires no evaluation or treatment at this point of time. I feel this has nothing to do with your old AVM resection. Pain killers like paracetamol or brufen would suffice it causes pain and tenderness. If you notice an increase in the size or number of nodes over a period of time you need to see your physician for a good physical examination and consultation to exclude other causes.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.