Have bug bite, swollen and itchy foot. Having numbness and no pain. Taking Benadryl. Should I see a doctor?

I have a bug bite(?) that us very swollen at the site on my foot, below the ankle.. I didnt even notice I had been bitten until it began itching like crazy. I was outside. It is not red at all. There is a good amount of numbness on and around the site, the bump is almost golf ball size. Ive had it for a day, with constant symptoms. When I first noticed the bite numbess and tingling was radiating up my leg to my knee and above.There is bruising from the swelling, very little warmth off of the site. Little to no pain. The swelling has gone down slightly in 24 hours, but it is still very big. I have been taking lots of Benadryl. No more tingling today, but some stiffness in leg joints. Should I got to the doctor?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

I guess the bug bite(?) would have caused only a local reaction in the form of swelling, pain and itching.

If it is as big as golf ball size it requires a larger time to subside. If you have pain you can apply Dispersible Aspirin paste ( mix it with water to make it), unless allergic to aspirin, to the swollen site. You may use MOTRIN / ADVIL 400mg for the swelling to subside. It should be taken after meal.

If it does not seem to subside you should see the doctor. He may give you oral antibiotics. Benadryl can reduce your itch but not the swelling and pain.

Hence on make sure you cover you body with clothes before you go out to avoid bug bites. Certain bug bites are really toxic and cause generalized reaction.

Next time you have a follow up please upload with the picture from the right side corner of the page.

Hope this helps.