Have bruising around abdomen and lower back. Sits for long time. Cure?

General Surgeon
My husband ha sbrusing around his abdomen and lower back area around kidneys. No pain or injury. He is a truck driver and sits quite a bit.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 2 hours later

I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon.

I would like to know if your husband is overweight. In the absence of any history of trauma, long period of sitting in the truck may cause bruising / discoloration due to pressure on the deeper sub cutaneous fat. It gets resolved with time.

That being said, it would be better to get your coagulation profile verified - bleeding/clotting time and platelet counts to make sure we are not dealing with a sinister concern.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have bruising around abdomen and lower back. Sits for long time. Cure? 9 hours later
My husband is about 20 - 30 pounds overweight and we will now address that and the weight gain has been recent.

Can you give me a time frame as to when we might see improvement?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later

Thanks for the information.

It is good to know that you have thought of dealing with his over weight problem. However, I am sorry to inform you that no such time frame can be given on such issues. Sometimes it is also possible for a little residual discoloration to persist. Only time can prove the fact.

I hope this will solve your concern. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any other doubt.

Thanks and take care.