Have brown spotting. Periods are due. What could be the cause?

Since last 4 days I have brown spotting, which is unusual. I think the discharge is only once in 24 days.
My periods are due only after a week and usually I have never experienced this kind of discharge.
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 54 minutes later

This brown could be due to pregnancy associated so give your blood sample for beta HCG test to rule out pregnancy. Second possibility is infection so get yourself examined by Gynecologist. Third possibility is hormonal imbalance may be due to stress etc. Consult your local Gynecologist for examination and necessary investigations. Meanwhile take curd in your diet; it helps in the growth of good bacteria inside vagina.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have brown spotting. Periods are due. What could be the cause? 20 minutes later
Thank you, doctor. However, till when should I wait before consulting a local gynaecologist. As I said it is only thrice in last 4 days, once in a day this spotting has occurred and I also have my usual PM syndromes. So can I wait for 2/3 days to see if it is something related to pre period issues?

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 15 hours later
You can wait for 3-4 days for periods.If you miss your period then consult a local Doctor.

Best wishes