Have brown patches on leg and knee. What could this be?

Has some prown patchy spots on leg just below nappy down to knee. just came up this afternoon? he has no fever or any other sypmtoms. just little brownish patches on right leg
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 30 minutes later
From your description it seems that your child may be having an insect bite reaction.
Could you upload a few pictures so I can assess better?
You could apply a calamine based lotion 2-3 times a day and give an antihistamine like chlorpheniramine or diphenhydramine.

You have the option of uploading a picture on the right side of your query page. It would be very useful if you do that.
Are you sure that you have not noticed them earlier?
Has he been on any other medication?
Was it initially raised or red and now appears like it is subsiding?
Is there a family history?
Please get back to me with the answers and pictures so we can help you better.

Hope this helped.
Follow-up: Have brown patches on leg and knee. What could this be? 47 minutes later
no medication and not noticed earlier very faint and not raised sorry i am probably just being paranoid!! let me know if you did not get photo
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 11 minutes later
Hello again XXXXXX,
It is very natural for a parent to get scared about the small little lesions babies develop. Do not worry.
I saw the picture you attached. There are 2 brown spots above the knee on the inner aspect of the thigh which seem to moles called cafe au lait macules. They were probably there earlier but have come to your notice now. Rest of the skin appears very normal.
Do not worry. I do not see any reason to panic. If you are still anxious, you could show him to your primary care doctor.
You could also apply a moisturiser or baby lotion twice day.
Hope this cleared your queries. If you do not have any further queries, you can close the discussion and rate the same.
Wishing your family the best of health.
Follow-up: Have brown patches on leg and knee. What could this be? 2 minutes later
thank you so much for your prompt attention and again apologies for bothering you. i shall contact our GP if i notice any other changes. kind regards
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 9 minutes later
You are most welcome .