Have brown dots around upper lip, chin and edge of nose. What is the cause and treatment?

I woke up from sleep with five to six brown dots around upper lip, chin edge of nose. they are flat, and appear as if they are ink stains. i did not use chemicals, XXXXXXX pain, ink etc. no unusual exposures or contacts, did not go in sun
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: Insect bite reaction : Use topical steroid cream Detailed Answer: Hi, I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. I have seen the attached pictures. You seem to have developed vector dermatitis or insect bite reaction. This usually presents with sudden appearance of localized skin rash anywhere over the exposed areas of the body. The lesions in your case are all grouped and sometimes these can be linear at places. Now this reaction is actually an allergic skin reaction to a chemical recreated by certain insects. First of all, it is very important that you clean all your beddings and room once. Next you need to apply a mild topical steroid cream like hydrocortisone over the affected area twice a day for three to four days. Do not apply any other creams or oils over the affected area. You can however use a sunscreen when going out in the sun. You can in addition take some oral antihistamines if you have associated itching or discomfort. Hope it helps, If you need any further clarifications, please ask, Dr Geetika Paul.
Follow-up: Have brown dots around upper lip, chin and edge of nose. What is the cause and treatment? 1 hour later
Thanks but that doesn't really ring true to me. There were no bites and no itching. It is only around mouth. It is totally flat, feathering and appears stained. Any other thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pigmentation due to fluid secretions of insect Detailed Answer: hi again, I can understand that you might not be very convinced, but we, as dermatologists keep seeing such patients. An insect especially beetles moving anywhere over our skin can lead to two types of reactions. One ,there can be a reddish irritant response.This can be associated with itching and irritation. Second, there can be brownish to black pigmentation of the skin due to secretions from the body of the beetle. These reactions do not cause any discomfort to the patient and are only a temporary cosmetic problem. These resemble ink stains over the skin, but their sudden overnight appearance and linear or grouped pattern leads us to the diagnosis. As told, using a mild topical steroid will help in removal of the upper stained skin and will cause clearance of the lesion. But both of these are temporary reactions and will usually heal with only topical drug. If you still have any doubts, please let me know. Dr Geetika Paul. MD(Dermatology)
Follow-up: Have brown dots around upper lip, chin and edge of nose. What is the cause and treatment? 14 hours later
I am going to get steroid cream and hope for the best. For whatever it is worth -- I am an ER physician for 30 years and have never seen anything like this before. Neither have my 3 partners i called. think I would feel a beetle walking and secreting over me. thanks for the feedback -- if still there on monday -- will take the next step
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Insect reaction on skin Detailed Answer: Hi again, I can understand that you do not seem to be convinced with the treatment advised. But I would advise you to try and follow the treatment as told. If at any time you feel that the lesions are not improving or are increasing inspite on treatment, then you can go ahead and take a second opinion on the same. I have advised you according to the best of my experience and knowledge. But you have every right to go ahead and take opinion of another dermatologist. Wish you all the best, Hoping for your speedy recovery Dr Geetika Paul.