Have bronchiectasis and mold allergy. Taking prednisone, use ventolin with saline solution. Suggest?

i have bronchiectasis and have no acytlecystien availible at moment, I am hyperallergic to common house hold moulds, I have chronic exsasabation at the moment, I am taking 50mg of prednisone a day, i use ventolin and atrovent with .9% saline solution 4 times daily in a nebulizer, followed up by a extra 10 mls of saline whick helps remove the mucus from my lungs.this process can go on for weeks. i would to try albuterol. you hypersonic saline, or something else, i am at my witts end.
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 15 days later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be suffering with bronchiectasis with mold allergy. There is a high likelyhood of you suffering from ABPA(Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis).

2. Currently you seem to be in exacerbation.

3. The management currently in supervision with your doctor can be as follows:
a. Continue tb prednisolone 50 mg per day for 14 days after which it can be tapered gradually to a low dose.
b. continue atrovent and ventorlin nebulisation for 5 to 7 days.
c. For mucus expulsion in absence of a mucolytic like Acetylcysteine, steam inhalation can be an alternative.
d. Also you may learn self chest physiotherapy techniques for such situations in future.
e. If you have fever or yellw/ foul smelling sputum an antibiotic can be added in supervision with your doctor.
f. You need to visit a pulmonologist and get yourself evaluated in detail. A maintenance inhaler therapy may be required.
g. Do consider pneumococcal anf flu vaccinations in future for prevention of secondary infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Replied by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra