Have bronchiectasis. Taking oral steroids, atrovent, saline. Alternate medicine for acetlecyctein solution?

I suffer with bronchiectasis which I found verry debilitating,I get bad for abort 6 monts of the year usually starting in winter, and have it till january, it stars of being very had to breath, my lung function slows to about 70% my oxygen levels are ok around95% however the flem in my lung make it hard for me to breath, I don' have traditional weez as you would in normal asthma attack as i know i'v e been there in my younger days.
I simply have to breathe harder which can go on for hours, days and weeks to a point a when i can't funcion or condetrate on any thing else. i am treating myself wiht oral steroids 50mg per day which is alot,i also use atrovent and saline .9% (10ml0 vile ) i Have 2 at a time 20 mls if saline (nebulised) this is helping clear the mucus from my lungs which takes a hour, when i have an exsasabation like know I willdo this 4 times a day.
I used to use mucomyst, I now get acetlecyctein solution, unfortunetly it has been unavailibe since january, so i am sufferung, I have herd of other drugs that my help, albuterol, or hypertonic saline. could you please give me some advise as i am at my whitts end
Posted Sun, 11 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later

I hope I can help answer your questions. The standard treatment for bronchiectasis in patients that have frequent exacerbations includes rotating antibiotics (Avelox, Cipro, Augmentin, Amoxicillin etc), respiratory treatments (albuterol, atrovent, Advair, etc.), possibly the use of a steroid taper, mucolytics such as mucomyst or mucinex etc. In addition, for patients that have chronic ongoing issues there is a device called "the vest"...that delivers ultrasonic vibrations to the lungs to help clear the mucus.

I would recommend you look into a course of a rotating anitbiotic .....whichever drug they choose should be taken for the 1st 10 to 15 days of each month for 3 months...then changed to a different drug. Aggressive respiratory treatments. Consider looking into the vest. The company will let you try the vest at home for 2 to 3 months at first to see if it works for you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.