Have bronchial asthma and high BP. No family history of asthma. Breathlessness when climbing stairs. Confused about asthma

Sir,Recently i have been diagnosed by bronchial asthma and high blood pressure.I am only 28 years old and having no family history for asthma.I have litle symptoms of asthma as during weather change i got cough and cold as well as wheezing,during recent past i have also got problem in breathing while going upstairs and while running i am confused that i have asthma or not please help.
Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 25 minutes later

I like to know since how long you are getting these symptoms. Whether you are getting these symptoms every year or only this year, and are you suffering from allergic rhinitis and aspirin intolerance. These are usually associated with asthma.

The similar symptoms presents even with irritants also which will come in particular season.

For diagnosing asthma get investigated by spirometry, FEV1 and skin tests. You can be easily diagnosed.

As we have evidence based guidelines for management and also for preventing disease progression like XXXXXXX guidelines, need not to worry now. Get diagnosed using the above mentioned investigations and then we can take necessary steps in managing the disease.

Also, do let me know how high your blood pressure is. Did repeated recordings show consistently high BP?

Hope you are satisfied with the query. If you have any further questions I will be glad to answer.

Dr Vidya KR