Have breathlessness and blocked nose. Take antihistamines, mebevreine and acyclovir. Over weight. Suggest

ENT Specialist
Breathlessness ever since a few weeks ago when the summer came. I am constantly blocked up also and use olbas oil as oil helps clear my nose and use this at night to help me sleep. I take ain't histamines and mebevreine and acyclovir daily. I had asthma when I was school 30 years ago the blue and brown inhalers. I had a blood clot in my right calf three years ago. I am overweight as I'm 17st 7 and 6ft 4 but trying to add muscle as weight training every week and getting loads of clean calories daily.
Posted Wed, 7 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history, I do feel the breathlessness could be due to the nasal block secondary to the dry nasal mucosa and the antihistamine. The commonest side effect of long term usage of anithistamines is the dryness of the mucosa of the throat and the nose, as well as crusting in the nasal mucosa.

I am sorry; I did not understand the reason behind taking acyclovir. Acyclovir is prescribed to treat viral infections and the long-term usage can be detrimental.

My suggestions to you:
1. To use saline nasal spray, instead of the olbas oil.
2. Do steam inhalation at least 2-3 times a day.
3. Drink lots of water (preferably lukewarm water)
4. Avoid chilled beverages, coffee and smoking (if any).

Hope with these measures you should be alright. Revert back to me if you have any further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon