Have breathing problem and severe cough. Found a small lesion in the lower lobe of the lung. Any advise?

good morning sir ! I have breathing problem and severe coughig since last 1 month. after a series of tests like blood test, lungs function test, ecg, echocardiograph, Chest X-ray, HRCT of Chest my doctor has found a small lesion in the right lower lobe of the lung and same ill-defined patchy areas around it and a chink of fluids in pleural area. My doctor has asked for more tests like 24Hr Urine test for 5-HIAA and Serum Chromogranin A to confirm that it is a carcinoma. Pls advise.
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having complaints of diarrhea/ redness of face/ depression on and off.
2. Your chest complaints include breathing and cough problems. HRCT Thorax was suggestive of right lower lobe nodule with minimal pleural effusion.
3. Correlating the clinical profile, there is a possibility of carcinoid syndrome and hence the urine HIAA and Serum Chromogranin A has been advised for the same.
4. Carcinoids are manageable and malignant potential is less of these tumors.
5. Also a bronchoscopy would be of help in your case.
6. Surgical excision along with medications is thr treatment of this condition.
7. You should go ahead with the investigations.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist