Have breathing issue, recurring back pain and joint pain. How to get relief?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi doctor, I was having anchylosin spond. and was having back pain and breathing issues. I was advised to tage saaz ds, used it for 3 months. now those issues have gone. But started to have joint pains on my knees, elbows shoulders. I am Male 35
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 36 minutes later
Repeated back and joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. The pain in the joints is not likely to be related to ankylosing spondylosis you were diagnosed with earlier. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have breathing issue, recurring back pain and joint pain. How to get relief? 6 hours later
Thanks. I willdo the test under doctors supervision. The current joint pain were not there earlier in those areas. Is there any chance that it came because I have taken SAAZ DS for 3 months? Should I continute saaz ds or shd I stop before going through pathological test. For your information last test details (taken on 17th oct 2012):
ALT (SGPT) - SERIUM/PLASMA - 19 (reference 30 - 65)
CREATININE - SERIUM/PLASMA - 0.7 (reference 0.8 - 1.3)
ESR - 96 (Reference 0 - 10) ** this was 31 earlier and has increased after taking saaz ds.

Was the earlier treatment taken was wrong? please inform what I shd do now.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
SAAZ-DS is an anti inflammatory medicine and is not likely to cause the joint pains that you are having now. You need additional pain killers to have symptomatic relief. The test reports show a raised ESR which is suggestive of an active inflammatory process. It is related to the disease flaring up and not intake of the medicines.
You need to consult a rheumatologist for proper management.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.