Have breathing difficulty, GERD and high blood pressure. Taking xanax. Is this cardiac or anxiety related?

Dear Doctors,
I am a 28 year old male with no known chronic health conditions. But I have some bothersome symtoms to which I wish I knew was the cause. I have breathing difficulty accompanied with tension in my shoulders and chest. I have bad Gastroesophageal reflux as well instances of elevated blood pressure. The middle of my chest is painful to the touch. I have instances as well when I panic and have overwhelming worry about my health and feel as though I'm going to drop dead. I have gone to see Doctors for these symptoms. They don't seem to be interested in doing any diagnostic testing on me. They just simply believe it is all linked to anxiety and have sent me off with Xanax or propranolol prescriptions. How do I differ between true cardiac problems and panic attacks? Do these symptoms XXXXXXX themselves as serious? Do they point to any other health condition possibilities. I would very much like to hear some professional feedback or advice. thank you.
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 19 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Differentiating cardiac autonomic symptoms and anxiety related symptoms is challenging at times for even an astute physician. As an overall rule when the symptoms are non specific and involving multiple systems for eg pain and aches sweating psychic apprehension palpitations urge for micturiton rtc it points towards anxiety disorders like panic attacks. However a cardiac or lung related condition would manifest only with local symptoms. However an ecg and chest x XXXXXXX can conclusively differentiate. In your case an anxiety disorder appears more likely. Do clarify further if required. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar