Have breast cancer, numb chin and lip. Is it possible that invasive carcinoma is not caused by breast cancer? Treatment?

I have breast cancer and have numb chin and lip....I had 2 mamograms a ultrasound and eight core biopsies 90% non invasive ducal carcinoma in-su-tu and 10% invasive ducal carcinoma, am having a PET scan tomorrow... Is it possible that this is not caused by the breast cancer? And if it is what kind of treatment is available for this ? All I can find on line is at least 2-3 years old. Thanks
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your current situation.

Reviewing your information. Would you have submitted indicates that you have a history of abnormal mammograms which have prompted biopsy procedures. These biopsies have revealed a couple of different findings would you have described including carcinoma in situ as well as invasive carcinoma.

Regarding carcinoma in situ this is something which can be removed surgically without additional need for treatment. If you have invasive components of the carcinoma. This is regarded as a breast cancer which does need treatment and evaluation as well as follow up by a skilled oncologist.

I am not sure what the utility of the pet scan will be necessarily at this time but I certainly might consider something like a breast MRI in order to determine if there are any other abnormal areas in the breast. Sometimes there can be what is called multifocal breast cancer.

In the setting of multifocal breast cancer and expecting you sometimes recommended. In addition a surgeon may remove a couple of lymph nodes to see if there is any evidence of tumor in the lymph nodes as well. Now for you I am sure your specimens have been tested for estrogen and progesterone receptors. These are receptors which can give your oncologist some tools in order to minimize any chance of recurrence of the breast cancer itself. There are some other jeans which are also tested and these can give your oncologist some help in determining what needs to be done next. In addition there may be a need for chemotherapy depending on the size of the actual tumor. There are some other tests which can be done including onco type DX which is a towel comparing your tissue to a panel of tissues in order to gauge the likelihood of aggressive potential of the actual cancer.

I know you are probably very overwhelmed with the process of biopsy as well as imaging and at this point it may have some degree of frustration. I encourage you to remain patient and to attend all of your follow-up visits in addition to obtaining the recommendations of a skilled oncologist. You may also benefit from a consultation with a radiation oncologist who can tell you if there is any benefit to local radiation in helping to minimize any recurrence of this newly diagnosed cancer.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert