Have breast cancer. Have been taking Trazedone for sleeping. How to taper it dosage?

Yes, I have been taking Trazedone (two 50mg tablets) at bedtime for over ten years. It started when I was diagnosed with cancer ten years ago and couldn't sleep at all for days and days. Trazedone was prescribed by a psychiatrist who worked with women like me who couldn't sleep. The information on the Trazedone paper says not to alter/stop the dosage without discussing it with your health care provider. Now I can fall asleep at night without Trazedone - but I wake up about two hours later and can't get back to sleep unless I take Trazedone. I am 77 years old - female - with beginnings of lymphoma (which is only being monitored since the blood levels have been the same for this last year (only diagnosed about 1 1/2 years ago. The breast cancer diagnosed ten years ago has been in remission for ten years. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Imraan Hussain 1 hour later

Thanks for your query

I can feel your concerns , sorry to read about your history, you have faced a lot of problems .
Be strong enough and face the problems like you had in the past.

I recommend you to taper it by cutting the tablet with the help of razor into half and take 150 mg tablet for 5 days and again cut into half and take 75 mg for 5 days and then on alternate days for 5 days and then stop it.

If you have any other query I will be happy to answer.