Have brain tumour. Diagnosed as sinus infection. Have hurting head and foggy brain. Am I having anxiety?

Excellent

Question
I'm worried I have a brain tumor. My doctor says it's a sinus infection. The worrying has really taken my life over. My head hurts in a lot of places, I have foggybrain. I think I might have bad health anxiety.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Brain Tumor

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 minutes later

You should calm down and relax first.

There are minimal traces of brain tumor at this age. Brain tumor have a lot of other features as well like vomiting. When you vomit it is projectile in nature that the contents are few feet away from you. I am sure you would not have this.

If your doctor had reassured you should believe in him. Your anxiety is bypassing the pleasure in life at this age. These thoughts itself cause some head hurting and bizzare thoughts.

You should seek an opinion from Psychologist as well as soon as possible with the help of your parents. He can counsel you a bit. Let me know your other thoughts.

Follow-up: Have brain tumour. Diagnosed as sinus infection. Have hurting head and foggy brain. Am I having anxiety? 9 minutes later
Thanks for helping it just seems odd to have a sinus infection for more than a month. My leg also twitches and feels a bit shaky when walking sometimes. You're right I do need to stop worrying and enjoy my life

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 50 minutes later
I have seen patients with episodes of sinusitis for more than 6 months. They just take some pain killers and antibiotics temporarily and come back after one week. Their retention is poor when I educate them on how to deal with it effectively. So do not underestimate sinusitis it can take away good part of your living. It is easy to treat when doctor and patient synergistically work.

The other symptoms that you complain are confounding.

Note one thing if you are thinking of brain tumor does the headache increase in severity? Yes or No.

Follow-up: Have brain tumour. Diagnosed as sinus infection. Have hurting head and foggy brain. Am I having anxiety? 7 minutes later
It does a little bit, when I worry it hurts more, I am on a heavy antibiotic for the sinus. It hasn't worked yet but its been just a few days

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later
There I go, if you think about brain tumor and if the headache increases it is unlikely because of brain tumor. It is just the excessive thoughts.

If there is enough fluid in the sinus cavity on X-ray draining the sinus is also an option.

All the best. If you do not have any more queries, kindly close our discussion and rate my answer.

Follow-up: Have brain tumour. Diagnosed as sinus infection. Have hurting head and foggy brain. Am I having anxiety? 8 hours later
What would the pain in the back of the head be?

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 hours later
Headache has numerous causes. It would be very difficult to predict a cause.

Pain behind the head is commonly due to tension related, cervical muscle spasms and relatively benign causes. I wouldn't suspect a brain tumour with just pain in the back without vomiting and other associated symptoms.

So be rest assured.

You are least likely to have a brain tumour. If you are troubled with this thought, you can consider a Computed Tomography (CT) scan of the head. The scan will prove beyond any doubts that you do not have a tumour.

Hope this answer is reassuring.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Have brain tumour. Diagnosed as sinus infection. Have hurting head and foggy brain. Am I having anxiety? 13 hours later
I think I have hypochondria, I have most of the symptoms and is a lot more likely than a brain tumor. I still have lots of pressure in my head especially the back.
I've also had a blurry eye on and off. I understand a brain tumor is rare in teens but I just want to be sure. I've also been very fatigued and not wanting to do much

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 5 hours later
It is observed that many of symptomatic patients after searching internet for headache gets a fear that they are suffering from brain tumor. A new study, just published in the Journal of Consumer Research, suggests you’re more apt to convince yourself you’re sicker than you are, all because of what you find on the internet. If you think I am an able physician and trust in me you should stop looking for them online. Put a self ban on these healthcare websites (like a lock).

Researchers in Hong Kong compiled evidence from six different web-based experiments. Most people who searched for health information about themselves overestimated the likelihood of having a serious or deadly disease (courtesy from other genuine website).

Please work on meeting a Psychologist after speaking to your parents. There is no serious problem as I understand but this is going to take a serious toll on your education, peer interaction and career.

Hope I am of some help to you.

Follow-up: Have brain tumour. Diagnosed as sinus infection. Have hurting head and foggy brain. Am I having anxiety? 15 hours later
Thanks so much for the help I had a ct scan today and have a XXXXXXX sinusitus. Once again thanks for the help.Maxilary not XXXXXXX God bless

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 hours later
Very good, you took that extra step to investigate the cause at right time. Sometimes seeing is believing. Now you have see the scan and believed it. I was worried about you being occupied with these thoughts all the time when you do not have brain tumor. I am glad that you accepted my statements.

Please close our discussion and rate my answer too.

Any further inquiries in future I am readily available.