Have bowel hypermotility. No fever, blood, mucus, pus, or odor. Having gas and small amounts of watery liquid. Suggest?

General Surgeon
I have had bowel hypermotility for several days now. No fever, blood, mucus, pus, or odor. Just lots of gas, and small amounts of watery liquid. Two days of the BRAT diet didn't make a difference. Took 1 dose of Imodium Monday, and was fine Monday and Tuesday with moderate diet. This a.m., again the gas and watery movement. I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies this time of year, usually eat a high fiber diet, and don't usually have bowel troubles.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 45 minutes later
Hi ! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

It could have been more helpful if you would have given some information on your dietary habits. Do you eat frequently from outside your home ? In that case this may be some kind of infection in your intestines, one of the common being amebiasis, which gives rise to a lot of gas formation, with increased frequency of motions.This infection may also come in if the vegetables and fruits are not properly washed and cleaned. I would suggest you to go for a stool test, and if comes to be positive, to consult your family physician, who may prescribe you with some antibiotics, and anti amoebic drugs which will relieve your symptoms. Simply sticking to the BRAT diet may not help you much in presence of persisting infection in your intestines.

It is better to avoid a lot of fruit till you are ok, as this may increase your problem. You can add fresh home made curd regularly in your diet which acts as a natural probiotic for your intestines.

At times some persons are intolerant to constituents of the diet ( like lactose, and gluten ) to which their intestines react and can give rise to such symptoms of yours. If the problem continues, then you may try excluding these ingredients from your diet on consultation with a dietitian and may get relief.

If you have shown yourself to any doctor and have got yourself investigated, then I would like to have the reports to guide you more.

Awaiting your reply. Thanks.