Have bowed legs. Pain in the leg and ankle. Concerned about pain getting worse

Question
Hi, I am 21 and I have bowed legs, my knees are about 2 cm apart but the lower leg bows out, I have recently felt an ache in my leg and ankle, what can I do? Will it get worse?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 13 hours later

Your description is not very clear. I have bowed legs and my knees are about 2cm with the lower legs bowed out are mutually contradictory.

Bowed legs is referred to large distance between the knees, in fact more than 2cm. If the lower legs are bowed out, then they are called knock knees and not bowed legs.

Please clear your question here. Also it would be good if you can send a photograph to YYYY@YYYY so that I can take care of giving a better reply. I wish you answer some of my questions here.

1) When did you notice these changes?
2) Is the ache in leg and ankle a recent symptom?

Most often the milld lower leg deformities can be answered by certain exercises and certain posture modifications.

Severe deformities require surgical correction.

Anyways a physical examination by a primary / Orthopedic surgeon should be proper at this point. A pain killer with Ibuprofen should get temporary relief from aches.

If you can answer my questions along with a picture, I am happy to throw more light on your query.

Dr. Mazumdar

Follow-up: Have bowed legs. Pain in the leg and ankle. Concerned about pain getting worse 55 minutes later
Thank you for your response,

Sorry for the unclear question, i am not familiar with the correct terms.

I have been aware of this for a while now, but have never dwelled on it. I have probably had this my whole life without really thinking about it. It is only recently due to the slight ache that i have had concerns, and really started to analyse my legs visually. The ache is in my left leg and ankle and is a recent symptom, the ache is not very discomforting, rather an annoyance.

I have sent a picture to the email address mentioned in your answer.

My concern is that if it gets worse and deforms more. I hope i am just being paranoid.

Thank you very much for your help.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 22 hours later
This advice is based upon history as provided by the patient as there is no Physician – Patient relationship established. The patient has not been examined per se. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes.

Hi XXXXXXX

I saw the photograph. That is absolutely normal.

You neither have bow legs nor knocked knees.

I think it is just a exertional ache and you can pop an over the counter pain killer to get rid of the pain.

Get out of these thoughts and you will do good.

Hope it helps.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have bowed legs. Pain in the leg and ankle. Concerned about pain getting worse 10 hours later

Thanks again for your help,

Just so my mind is at ease, i have just a few more questions.

something that did worry me abit, that can be seen on the photograph, is the angle at which my left lower leg enters my ankle. It isnt exactly straight and therefore im guessing that this is putting more strain on my joints, is this a problem or is it ok? also is it normal to have a moderate gap between the lower legs?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Pleasure to answer you here.

I do not see any worrisome features at your ankle. Every individual is made different and so you are. Try out the pain killer for couple of days when it aches.

If the leg aches are frequent, you can choose a different foot wear which has thicker sole on the lateral side. But you need to consult your physician to do this.

The gap between the lower legs is OK.

Hope it helps.

DISCLAIMER : This advice is based upon history as provided by the patient as there is no Physician – Patient relationship established. The patient has not been examined per se. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes. Please see a local doctor before acting upon the advice.