Have borderline thyroid, about to undergo IVF treatment. What is it? Can it affect my chances of conceiving?

I am about to undergo IVF treatment and my doctor said I have borderline thyroid. What is it? Can it affect my chances of conceiving? Can it affect my pregnancy and my baby if IVF succeeds?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 32 minutes later

Normal thyroid function is must for pregnancy to happen and successful out come.

Thyroid hormone is very important for normal functioning of the body.

I would prefer that you please discuss this with your IVF Specialist about the option of consulting a physician or thyroid specialist (endocrinologist) before going further. Your physician after examination and with help of reports will decide whether to start treatment or not.

After that during pregnancy, please remain in constant touch with your physician or endocrinologist for smooth thyroid control.

In case you are diagnosed to have hypothyroidism please do not worry, this disease can be very be controlled with medicines and you will not have any major health issues once it is under control with medicines.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you may have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing you all the very best for the time to come.