Have borderline blood pressure level. Should I start medication? Alternative treatment?

Hi, My husband is 30 years old. His blood pressure ranges from 140/90 to 150/100. This range is observed for since couple of months by now. Should he start medication?
Is there any alternative apart from medication?
Please help
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 16 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Yes, your husband should start taking medicines.
130/80 is normal \ 140/90 is 'high normal' or 'pre' or 'borderline' Hypertension....
100 diastolic (lower figure) & couple of months is a definite indication to start treatment.

There is NO alternative.
Life style modifications help - reducing salt intake, regular exercise, no tobacco or alcohol. They supplement - can not supplant drugs...

Have basic work up - ECG, Kidney function including electrolytes and Lipids.

Start on a single drug - say ARB (Angiotensin Receptor Blocker) - example Olmesartan. Start a small dose, step up after a week, till maximum dose is reached or BP is controlled.
Add another drug, if necessary, at this stage.

Follow up with an Internist (MD)

Ensure compliance - people neglect because there is no symptom.
The aim is to prevent complications - target organ damage in the long term - protecting heart, eyes, brain and kidneys...

There are several classes of drugs and several drugs in each class / can be well controlled without problems / ensure near normal quality and quantity of life...

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Have borderline blood pressure level. Should I start medication? Alternative treatment? 6 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks a lot for the answer. Just one last information from you. Although my husband's BP range was at high normal pressure range, diastolic pressure is recorded just once or twice so far.

Do we have to alter life style habits(such as diet and exercise) and observe for sometime or start medication immediately along with diet and exercise?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 29 minutes later

Go for all simultaneously

Life style changes supplement / not supplant - the medicine
Their effects are limited / but go far beyond the pressure alone...

All the best