Have bone cancer. Prosthesis failed mechanically during minor surgery. Any advice?

My nephew ( 6 yrs old ) was detected with Bone Cancer (osteosarcoma,chondroblastic) in March 2009
After his surgery in Aug 2009 , infected area(lower end Femur including growth plate ,right leg) has been removed and replaced with Prosthesis(expandable implant, ISIQU ).During the follow up minor surgery in 2011 the implant failed mechanically ( could not be expanded).My nephew is 8 yrs old and there 's a significant difference in his legs now.We are looking for different options available for prosthesis and a reference for a surgeon who has performed such surgeries in India. We have already been to Tata Memorial Hospital and Hinduja hospital (Mumbai). Please guide.

Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
You have taken treatment in best of institute in central India. Hinduja hospital has best team of orthopaedicians in India. Mechanical failure of prosthesis is a very unfortunate event. Usually after excision of tumor there is some loss of limb length. The main purpose of operation and prosthesis is to save to limb and avoid the mental trauma to patient.
You should consult with same surgeon and consult regarding another prosthesis if possible. Because going to another hospital will increase the cost of treatment and make him undergo an unnecessary procedure again.
Still, if you want to consult another hospital, there are few hospital in Pune and Mumbai dealing in prosthesis.
Do let me know if you want to know of other hospitals. We can then have a discussion on that.

Follow-up: Have bone cancer. Prosthesis failed mechanically during minor surgery. Any advice? 2 hours later
Thank you sir for the prompt reply.I agree with you , but we really want to have a second opinion. If you can point us to someone who has performed such types of surgeries on kids , that would be really great. Waiting for your reply. Thanks and Regards - XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 10 hours later
Welcome back XXXXXXX,
I will suggest a good place for second opinion; do not worry.

There are two hospitals in Pune dealing in orthopedic problems and prosthesis, Sancheti hospital and Hardikar hospital.

I will suggest Sancheti hospital will be better option as they have developed their own prosthesis and treated the patient.

In Mumbai, I will not suggest anything else than Hinduja, to avoid unnecessary expenditure.

Hope you have your answer.