Have boil or recurring whitehead on the top of butt crack. What to do?

There is a boil or recurring whitehead in the top of my buttcrack. What is it and what should I do?
Posted Sun, 6 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Positively Pilonidal sinus

Detailed Answer:

Pilonidal sinus is typically found at the top of the buttcrack. It starts like boil or cut and recurs by itself. Most often it heals by itself without any treatment. If it interferes the daily life of a person (not able to sit for long or burns) or recurs frequently bothering symptoms I advise my patients to undergo a small procedure to cut open the sinus for easy healing. This is done as a day care procedure by general surgeons under aseptic condition.

Since most of the people have a lot of hair in that region the chances of reinfection are very high.

Hope this gives you an idea where to head towards.

Follow-up: Have boil or recurring whitehead on the top of butt crack. What to do? 3 hours later
Can diet affect it? What should I put on it to facilitate healing? How long should I wait before going invasive? Am I risking a more systemic infectious process by waiting?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Systemic infections are rare with skin sinuses

Detailed Answer:

No definite time to wait but the doctor should check for abscess and it is the most important for treatment decision. Sometimes it may need additional investigation like Ultrasound to find deeper abscess. If abscess is present it requires drainage by the surgeon.

I do not think diet has a role here. It is your lifestyle that may succumb to this. You should keep getting up from the chair once in an hour if you have desk job. This releases some pressure on that part and hair would not penetrate inside the cavity.

You can put over the counter antibiotic creams like Neosporine. I do not find any systemic infections in pilonidal cysts or abscess.
Follow-up: Have boil or recurring whitehead on the top of butt crack. What to do? 28 hours later
Thanks Doc
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Please close and rate the discussion

Detailed Answer:
Thank you please rate our discussion