Have body aches, chills, high temperature. Advil helps. What else can?

I am a 53 year old female in otherwise good health. However, for the past four days, I have experienced body aches, and then chills and tempurtures as high as 101, but intermitently. After I take an advil, the condition recedes, only to reappear about 10 hours after. I am a native of France and have been in the U.S about three weeks on holiday.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

I understand your concern. It seems that you are suffering from a viral infection. The nature of this problem is such that it would usually run its course over the next 3-4 days.
I would suggest the following:
a. Take Tablet Tylenol 600 mg as and when required. You can take upto 4 tablets daily
b. Stay warm
c. You would need to rest a little for the next 3-4 days
d. Next, drink plenty of fluids and have small meals at regular intervals.

The above advice is based on the premise that you do not have any cough/cold/diarrhoea/vomiting or rash. If you do have any of these symptoms, please get back to me and then we would need to prescribe some additional treatment to take care of these symptoms.

If there are no other symptoms, you should be perfectly well in 3-4 days.
Hope this helps.
Awaiting your reply