Have blue nail due to swelling and pain on right foot nail. What can I do to prevent the pain?

Swelling and pain on right foot king toe nail. I ran a 12.5k run and noticed pain during the run. My nail was a little long, forgotten to cut it short. I have a feeling, it will off. Anything I can do to prevent this from happening. On other 2 occasions in the past this nail has turned blue an eventually fallen off. Luckily a new healthy nail grew back. Please advice.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Improve hygiene and immunity to have good health. Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXXXXX . It seems that you may be having paronychia. It is a bacterial infection of peripheral area surrounding the nail..nail fold,caused by staphylococci. It may follow after trauma as in your case after running. You should go for blood test to rule out diabetes mellitus. You take a course of antibiotics for two weeks whenever you have paronychia. Take anti inflammatory and analgesic tablets. Your immunity may be poor. You should take immunobooster. Improve hygiene.Take a bath with dettol water. Improve diet, take high protein diet. Take green leafy vegetables. And take anti oxidants to improve health status. All this might prevent relapse of paronychia and thus,your nail shedding may be prevented. I hope you may be satisfied with my answer. Still any query,welcome.. Thanks with best wishes. Dr. Ilyas Patel MD