Have blue bruise on arm. Getting tingling sensation in hands, forearm and shoulder. Related to blood clot?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a localized blue area on my arm, it looks like a bruise but has been there for 2 weeks. During this time it has gone a bit lighter in colour but hasn't changed too much. In fact you could say it just looks a bit "dirty".

I have also experienced some tingling in my hands, forearm and shoulder. This seems to happen more when I have used ice to cold press the affected area. The tingling feels a bit like my funny bone. The area is not hot to the touch, just normal, though recently (last day or so) I have been getting a feeling of burning sensation down my left arm like something is jangling the nerve.

The only thing I can think of which injured it is around two weeks ago I woke up in the night and couldn't feel my left arm, I had been lied on it. Other than that I cannot remember anything else happening! I am just concerned it may be related to a blood clot, but from what I have seen it doesn't look anything like that as it isn't swollen a lot, nor is it red or feels like it burns to the touch.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
It looks to me like varicose or bursted basilic vein or some of its branch. This is nothing to be worried about, it usually pull back in a short time. It can be caused by trauma,even minor one such as quick elbow bending. Also it can occur without obvious reason. ALl other symptoms you have mentioned might be related to it. You can apply some of heparin gels but it would pass without any treatment. Just hold your hand elevated and extended for some time and massage this area a little bit.
I also suggest to do blood tests( trombocytes, prothrombin time and clotting factors) because some of haematological disorders might be a reason for this.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: Have blue bruise on arm. Getting tingling sensation in hands, forearm and shoulder. Related to blood clot? 38 minutes later
Thanks a lot XXXXXXX I will get some blood tests done!
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 23 minutes later
You are welcome. I am glad I was helpful. Wish you good health!