Have blood pressure. Noticed leg and muscle weakness. What should I ask the doctor?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have high blood pressure and my MD's have changed my meds serveral times. I now have some leg/muscle weakness. I will see my internist tomorrow. What should I ask her? Thanks in advance for you answer.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discuss further investigation, bloods, neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
There are many reasons why you may have leg/muscle weakness so your doctor may wish to run some tests to investigate the problem.
As it seems to have occurred at the same time as changing your blood pressure meds, it may be a side-effect of a new medication.
There are a number of changes in blood that can result in muscle weakness such as changes in the electrolytes or possibly anemia. Therefore, your doctor may order some blood tests.
As we age, we inevitably loose muscle strength, this may be a factor.
More specific causes of weakness may include neurological diseases. Therefore, your doctor may wish to order some neurological investigations and seek advice from a neurologist.
In the meantime, you could ask about exercises that may help strengthen your legs. If you feel you need walking aids, you could ask about this as well.
I hope this has answered your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,