Have blood lump under eye due to trauma, painful. Applied ice. Should I take Advil?

Feb 2013

Hi! My 6 year old daughter wasn't feeling well tonight, so I fell asleep with her - in her bed. While sleeping, she began to toss and turn and head butted me in the right eye and now I have what looks like a blood bump under my eye!! I just iced it for 10 minutes and the small bump is looking flatter. Should I continue the 10 minutes with ice then 10 minutes off? If yes, for how long? (It's 2am here in NY--and I am exhausted but will do whatever I can to prevent this from looking terrible). I am also in pain, should I take advil for inflammation & pain? If yes, how much? Anything else I can do?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

It seems you have developed a hematoma under your right eye due to the injury.

You can continue applying ice pack once in 2 to 3 hours.

Ideally, ice should be applied within 5-10 minutes of injury for 20-30 minutes. This can be repeated every 2-3 hours or so whilst you are awake for the next 24-48 hrs.

For pain and inflammation, you can take Advil in prescribed dosage like 200 mg for adults and it should be taken with food.

If you don't get relief with this measures, consult your Doctor for the examination of the swelling and eye and for further treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.