Ask a Urologist   »  

Have blood in urine after sex, hard to evacuate. Given finastride to shrink prostate. Did vessel popped while having sex?

Question
I have blood in urion after sex hard to evacuate because it clots bladder only comes with arousel doctor gave me finastride to shrink prostate he thought maybe stretched blood vessels were bursting its been three months still blood after sex when this happened the sex was rougher than normal could i have popped a vessel inside and is it to big to heal all the way he already gave cat scan but now he says mri with contrast and for me to aggravate condition before mri will this find broken vessel and is it possible to seal vessel to blood in the future 1 other thing the blood stops filling bladder immediately after sex it only fils while having sex
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query.

First, I think you have not consulted a qualified urologist.
You are just 38 years old so at your age, commonest reason could be prostatitis but other causes like stone, malignancy of bladder etc needs to be ruled out.

I would advise you to go for urine routine, urine culture, ultrasound of KUB (Kidney Ureters Bladder region)/prostate/residual volume and uroflowmetry.

Apart from this cystoscopy is required to rule out bladder mass, which should be carried out by an experienced urologist.
Cat scan or MRI may be done later on if required.

At your age, one should not take finasteride to shrink prostate.

If your investigations suggest prostatitis, you will have to take antibiotics, anti-inflammatory drugs and alpha blockers for couple of weeks.

Follow-up: Have blood in urine after sex, hard to evacuate. Given finastride to shrink prostate. Did vessel popped while having sex? 1 hour later
Already had cystoscope urine test cat scan and it only happens if I have sex for a long time and had blood test with all of this done what do you think it could be the cat scan did enlarge prostate

Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 34 minutes later
Please tell me if there is anything abnormal in these tests.
No CAT scan can’t increase or decrease its size.

Also mention whether your doctor has started anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, hot sitz bath, alpha-blocker or not?