Have blood in saliva, throat bleeding, feeling lump in the throat. Withdrawal symptoms of smoking? Taking Omeprazole for heart burn

ENT Specialist
I am 35 years old and I quit smoking two months ago because of sinus and throat issues. I have been on three antibiotics. My sinus issues cleared up, but not my throat. My tonsils feel swollen, I feel a lump in my throat, I have blood in my saliva, my throat bleeds in the mornings in front of my right tonsil and my gums are sensitive. I also had a tiny white line in the back of my throat and tried to scrape it off with my finger and it bled. I have jaw pain on the right back side and my throat hurts there when I press on it. I was also given Omeprazole for heart burn. I went to an ENT and had a CT done and she told me that there is nothing wrong with me and it is all in my head. I also feel a lump in my throat on the right side of my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I cannot stop stressing out about these symptoms. Are these just symptoms of quitting smoking, or should I see another Doctor? I am afraid another Doctor will read my chart and just think it is all in my head because of what the first ENT reported. Can CT scans pick up all problems or do they miss issues?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Blood in the saliva, bleeding from the throat and sensitive gums is usually a sign of Vitamin C deficiency (commonly seen in people who smoke) and sometimes mild infection, lung problems, lymphoid hypertrophy and acid reflux.

2. The benefits of stopping smoking will take many months and years as your body heals itself. Our nasal sinuses are lined by a delicate mucosa (lining) which has microscopic cilia which clear the mucus. This usually gets damaged over the years by smoking. When it recovers, your sinusitis will reduce.

3. Sinusitis may cause a post nasal drip of secretions. This along with acid reflux causes the sensitive throat, pain and lump in throat sensation.

4. Since your CT and ENT examination is normal, there is no cause for worry. You may insist on a videolaryngoscopy, barium swallow study, chest x-ray and a follow up every six months. After 5 years of stopping smoking, your risk of smoking elated problems reduces to that of a non-smoker.

5. I also recommend that you should start with medication to control your symptoms. A combination of an anti-allergic and a leukotriene antagonist (like monteleukast) with a steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation for two weeks should be given. Vitamin C supplementation, preferably from natural sources will be of immense help to you.
Anti reflux medication takes 6 to 8 weeks to relieve acidity symptoms. Too many antibiotics may destroy the normal gut bacteria, worsening your symptoms.

You may consider a second opinion from an ENT surgeon to streamline the necessary test and prescribe you the aforementioned medications.

6. It is good to hear that you have stopped smoking. At your age, nothing serious is expected.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be available to answer them.