Have blood clot on thighs. Cause?

blod clot on tights
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
thanks for your query.
Do you mean to say blood clot in thighs? In that case is it spontaneous, ie without any trauma? Then we need to check the blood platelet counts.
Please revert with more details for specific answer.

Warm regards.
Follow-up: Have blood clot on thighs. Cause? 9 minutes later
Hi Dr. I have no idea what it is. If you can check the pictures it will be helpful. It came today morning and its painful. I have seen a dr earlier she gave me some medication to make the blood flow better. She said its blood clot. I wonder if you have a second opnion. Pls check the pictures attached
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 19 minutes later
Ok, it appears to be a condition called superficial thrombophlebitis (where the superficial veins get clotted and painful). Mostly it is self-limiting.

Though there are a host of conditions known to cause this, if you are otherwise healthy, I would wait for full workup only if it recurs. Age itself is a cause sometimes.

For now I would do a USG doppler of the deep venous system to check if that is also affected. Otherwise just drugs like aspirin to relieve the inflammation and hot compresses locally.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.