Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma?

Dec 2013

Hi, went to dermatologist 2 months back with no unusual moles. Woke up last week with what look liked a black blood blister on top of an existing mole. I think it got irritated- right on bra strap on lower right shoulder- slightly above arm pit. Im really not sure how long black blister was there- but definately wasnt there 2 months prior at check up. Went to dermatologist immediately and had removed. My dermatologist told me not to worry- but after reading about melanoma- I'm worrying. My mole is symmetrical with the blister being right in the middle. It is the size of a pencil eraser. (maybe a tiny bit bigger) Waiting on biopsy. Never had skin cancer. Opinion?
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hello Mam,
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic.My self Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query. First of all congrats and best wishes for the pride mother of third child. You should relax first as what so ever the thing might be, it is now been removed and is not in your body.As per your query it appears that you are quite stressed regarding the possibility of melanoma. Before I proceed any further I would like to ask few points regarding the lesion :
1. Had you felt any itching or pain any time in last two months over the area which had drawn your attention to the mole.
2. Was there any kind irregular borders kind of thing you observed in your mole.
3. Was there any variegated ( different) colors you observed in your mole.

You have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kanodia)

I hope you would not be bothered to reply above. Waiting for your reply so that I can guide you further.

Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
MD (Dermatology & STD)
Follow-up: Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma? 16 minutes later
No itching.
Pain only on the day I woke up and found the blister. I immediately went to doctor the same day.
No irregular borders.
It looked a lot like seborrhic keratosis before the dark bump raised up. So it was a raised mole- one color, but since on the crease of my arm it might have had a tiny bit of discoloration- not much.
I uploaded a close up pic for you. It's about a pencil eraser size.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Welcome again Mam,
Thanks for your prompt and so precise reply. As per the details submitted by you there appears to be negligible possibility of any malignant growth. Scientifically this is supported by following important facts:
1. There is no variegated color appearance which is the earliest sign of even in preinvasive (very beginning) melanoma. This is one of the most important sign in detecting the melanoma at very early stage. As is not present so makes the growth simply benign.
2. There are no symptoms felt by you as itching, pain and burning in prior few weeks. These are the important symptoms felt by the patient if the growth is malignant. As per your description none of these were felt, so again supporting the benign nature of growth.
3. The size of melanoma is greater than pencil tip. In your case equal to the tip or we can say equal to or less than 6 mm but not larger than that so making the highest possibility of benign growth.
4. Melanomas are frequently found over legs and in your case it is near shoulder.
5. Age group: Melanomas are generally seen in post middle age group and elderly. You are just 34 years, so do not match with your profile.
6. Personal history: No significant personal history of any cancer given by you. It supports additionally to the diagnosis of simple benign growth.
So finally I would support your doctor’s opinion of benign nature of growth. The doctor’s part of going for the biopsy is justified by the fact that it is a usual norm to go for any nature of growth to be analyzed histopathologically (biopsy). So, kindly rest assured about even the rarest possibility of melanoma. Spend good time with the infant and the kids. Do give us a follow up regarding the benign nature of mole, we would be really happy to receive that.Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. "Wish you good health"
Dr Sanjay K Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)
Follow-up: Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma? 8 hours later
Dr. Kanodia,
Thank you very much for your time. This is my first time using this, and I am very thankful I did.

Your answers were very clear and helpful.

In response to the varigated color- I noticed very little but there could have been some I didn't notice. The dermatologist did look at it 2 months prior and it didn't raise any flags.
We're you able to see the picture of mole? Not sure if I did it right.
If I may ask one more question, can a mole become invasive melanoma within a 2 month timeframe without these type of symptoms listed above?

Again, thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Welcome again to the forum Mam,

Concerning your further queries:

1.Regarding your picture of mole: it is perfectly taken and to confirm it more, it appears to be compound mole. As an isolated phenomenon of turning compound mole into malignant growth is very less. Even if we consider the rarest possibility then also the phenomenon of bleeding or ulceration is very late or last to appear. Before bleeding there is appearance of color change and itching, burning or pain sensation. In your case the mole had drawn the attention by bleeding and before that it was totally asymptomatic so again you can understand my point of suggestion.

2. For becoming a mole into invasive melanoma takes multiple months and not just 2 months and patient do perceive at least some symptoms of pain itching or burning or color change to begin with. In your case even if we take the rarest possibility also, then your dermatologist has wisely excised it. Previously there was a discussion about whether to excise a compound mole or not but now there is universal consensus regarding excision of lesion if a person is concerned about it. So, on that behalf also whether the growth was good or bad, it is not present in your body now.

Lastly it is not the doctor alone who makes the better of the patient but the intelligence of the patient also which takes the result in the right direction. I am really thankful to you for your intellectual and observant nature. We doctors are heartily thankful to people like you. Thank you so much for the same.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Have a good time with your kids and wish you good health.
Dr Sanjay K Kanodia (MD- Dermatology & STD)