Have blood blister. Soaked in salt water. Still increasing

May 2014

Have blood blister that just appeared one day (no trauma) and then it enlarged. I had lanced it and tried soaking in salts but it just kept bleeding. I have trimmed the skin to expose to air and now various attempts to stop the bleeding have failed.
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apply ice and neosporin ointment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read your query in detail.

You might have gone a bit deep while lancing. The finger tip area is supplied by end arteries and may bleed unless significant pressure is applied.

Please apply ice cubes on your finger tip. This will cause vasoconstriction of small blood vessels and decrease the blood temporarily. Then apply antibiotic ointment like neosporin and apply a medicated plaster over it. Do not allow water to enter the wound area.

Please take a tetanus shot if not taken earlier.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.