Have blood and puss filled bumps on back of head. How to remove this?

I have been having small, dime-sized blood and puss filled bumps on back of my head. They usually rupture and go away after a week. I had 3 in Thanksgiving and then stopped having them. I got one two weeks ago and it won't go away. It has oozed out puss and blood every so often and has gotten smaller, and they don't hurt or are sore but it's annoying since it leaves a bald spot.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 minutes later
You seem to be having infection of hair follicles or boils that are healing with destruction of hair or bald patches. Sometimes lice infestation, seborrheic dermatitis( severe dandruff)etc incites boils. If there is an underlying cause, it has to treated to prevent boils from occurring.
Nevertheless, to treat your boils-
1) wash your hair regularly with an antibacterial shampoo
2) do warm saline water compresses over the bumps at least twice in a day
3) apply an antibiotic cream like nadifloxacin or mupirocin or fusidic acid over the lesions
4) if the lesions do not resolve on topical treatment alone, you might require a course of oral antibiotics.
XXXXXXX I would also like to know
if there is any other scalp condition like dandruff or lice infestation etc associated with boils.
If you oil your hair
How often do you wash your hair
If the bald patches show hair growth or they are smooth red and depressed areas of hair loss.

Answering the above questions would help me in assisting you more.
Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care.
Follow-up: Have blood and puss filled bumps on back of head. How to remove this? 27 minutes later
Hi Dr. Pathak,

Thanks for your answer. In response to your questions, I don't really have any other condition that's associated with the boils. I don't oil my hair, and wash it once or twice a week. The bald patch are smooth and red due to the bump. However it appears that after they go away the hair eventually grows back.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
By looking at your replies in response to my queries, it seems you are having furuncles or boils. As the hair eventually grows back too, there is nothing to worry.
Kindly refer to my previous response and follow the treatment suggestions I have advised to treat boils over scalp.
Keeping your scalp clean by using an antibacterial shampoo every day or atleast every alternate days would effectively prevent further recurrences of scalp infection.

Hope that answers your query. Should there be more, I would be happy to assist you.