Ask a Urologist   »  

Have blood and clots in urine. Negative urine test. What could it be?

i have blood and clots and stringy blood in my urine. My urine test came back negative. What could it be?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 49 minutes later
Presence of blood clots in the urine with negative urine report can happen due to presence of renal stones. Other causes like bladder inflammation, injury to the urinary system, etc also needs to be ruled out after a detailed examination.
I would suggest that you consult your primary care physicians who can then prescribe the following investigations depending on the examination findings
1. Urinalysis and urine culture
2. Ultrasonography of the kidney-ureter-bladder region
3. Cystometry: This test measures the flow and pressure inside the bladder .
Meanwhile you can try the following remedies:

1. Avoid foods that appear to irritate your bladder like caffeine, alcohol, carbonated drinks, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, and spicy foods.
2. If you have a burning sensation while urinating, increase the intake of water and take plenty of cranberry juice.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.