Have blocked nose and feeling suffocation. Suggest effective medicine

Feb 2013

most of time my nose has blocked and i found suffocation.
if you had any medication related to relief from said.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

Persistent nasal block is due to allergic rhinitis which may be seasonal or perinneal (through out the uear).

You can take oral antihistamine like cetirizine tablet in prescribed dosage once daily and nasal drops like otrivin for short term relief.

Cetirizine causes mild sedation, so it should be taken at bedtime.

Otrivin nasal drops to be instilled one or two drops into each nostril, but to be used for short duration only like for 3 to 5 days.

You should avoid exposure to dust, pollution, smoke, pet animals, and any other known allergies.

For long term use medications are available like montelukast, allegra, and steroid nasal sprays, but can be used after consulting with your Physician or an ENT specialist.

Consult an ENT specialist once to look for any nasal septum deviation, polyps, and sinusitis and for the long term management plan for your nose block.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.