Have blockage in carotid artery. Do I need surgery?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have 75% blockage left carotid artery 53 female do I need surgery?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Cariotid artery surgery is still controversal and there are many opposite opinions about your question. First I should know is this carotid stenosis symptomatic or asymptomatic. Did you have stroke,loss of sensation, loss of sight, headaches and dizziness? If you did experience this then surgery is reasonable option.
Benefit ftpm surgery for asymptomatic patients is proven at blockage >90%.
More than 70% is significant stenosis but decision about suregry depends on you. Statistics say that one of 40 strokes at 70% blockage will be prevented with surgery.
Also I suggest to wait for few more months, take medicines and then repeat doppler US and see is there any progression of blockage. Depending on it you can plan further treatment.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
Follow-up: Have blockage in carotid artery. Do I need surgery? 21 hours later
Thanks :) I have had no storkes eye sight is blurrier but could be because of my age. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
Well, you are still young lady... If you dont have problems then you shouldnt hurry with surgery. If you notice any of signs what i ve said you should visit doctor and start treatment.