Have blisters on penis head, getting burning sensation when urinating. Urine test normal. What to do?

I have what looks like blisters on the head of my penis Additional info - started one week ago as burning sensation when urinating. Have only had sex with wife in last 10 days. Burning started 3 days after intercourse. Local doctor took urine sample on Thursday but said no sign of urinary tract infection.

Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

From the picture i see a few lesions that look as blister elevations. The most common causes of this type of lesions are Herpes and syphilis. Both infections are sexually transmissible.

Herpes is a viral infection that present usually with blister lesions occuring in multiple on the same area, and are red, painful, fluid-filled blisters that break open and crust over.

Syphilis unlike Herpes is caused by a bacteria and usually present with just a single blister blister around the junction between the glans penis and the shaft although multiple blisters can occur. Syphilis blisters are painless and usually hard.

Common laboratory test can be used to diagnosed the above two infections. Unlike syhilis can be treated with antibiotics and the patient declared cured, there is no cure for herpes but there are antiviral drugs used to control the infection.

You should consider discussing in detail with your Doctor to do tests in this direction of syphilis, herpes and other possible sexually transmissible infections such as condyloma etc.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query i will be ready to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Have blisters on penis head, getting burning sensation when urinating. Urine test normal. What to do? 13 minutes later
Thanks for the information. These blisters are painful and some pus expels so does not sound like syphils??

I had Sti tests done prior to being with my wife; is it likely that I have only just contracted this or could I or my wife have had it for a long time? I read that Herpes can lie dormant for a while.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 8 hours later
thanks once more for the query.

True, herpes stays in the body and reoccurs. Herpes can be transmitted to the other partner even if your partner shows no signs of the infection. Like i said earlier, its not curable but antivirals are used to control the infection, reduce transmission and lessen the frequency. Condoms also can help prevent transmission of the virus.
Herpes is a re-occuring disease and type I which is usually on the lips can also cause blisters on the penis. So, it is not clear to say if the infection was recently gotten or not clinically. However, doing both IgM and IgG antibodies could give an idea whether the infection is a new infection if both antibody types are positive.

Herpes testing generally is not recommended in standard std work ups by the CDC and if you did do it during your std work ups then that was an added advantage. If it was negative, it could be that it was in the incubation phase or you had not had the infection.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.

Best regards.