Have blisters around vagina. Took antibiotic for yeast infection. Now with cracked, bleeding buttocks. Bladder infection?

My mother is 81 years old, was previously diagnosed with a bad yeast infection, to the point of blistering around her vaginal area, she was prescribed an antibiotic and some cream, now her buttocks area is cracked, bleeding and painful, she wears depends and is unable to fully empty her bladder, her buttocks area is painful and does bleed, I have done everything I could think of. Now she feels that she has a bladder infection. She has and infusion on Friday for her RA.
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

I am very sorry about your mother's condition. This sounds like a terrible infection. This is a difficult situation and it is likely that the breakdown of the skin is a combination of yeast and burning from urine. I had one patient many years ago that had a similar problem that we thought was yeast, but it turned out that the problem was related to the constant exposure to urine on the vulvar and buttock skin. In her case, as she was not a good candidate for surgery, was aggressive use of barrier creams (similar to those used in burn patients or with a baby's diaper rash). If she thinks that she has a bladder infection, this is also important to sort out, but I do realize that the treatment for a UTI will also predispose her to a yeast infection! Here are some thoughts:

1. Find out if she has a UTI and get it treated
2. During the day, consider nystatin powder (I believe that it can now be bought over the counter)
3. Change her Depends at least 3-4 times per day - the area MUST stay dry and the Nystatin powder will also help in this regard
4. At night, consider the barrier cream or ask her doctor about Silvadene cream
5. Consider having her see a Urologist. One thought here is whether she would be a candidate for a urinary catheter while the skin on her bottom heals (this I have done before)

In any case, this should provide you hopefully with some new ideas. Please talk with her doctor about a plan such as this as I have little knowledge about her past history. I wish you the best of luck!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have additional questions. If we are done, REMEMBER TO PROVIDE FEEDBACK!