Have blister bumps on hands and is not going with cream and lotion. Treatment?

Dermatologist
Question
Have these strange little blister bumps on my hand at first it was on my left hand now its on my right hand when i make a grip it bothers me...what are these and why dont they go away with cream or lotion?
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
There could be many causes for such blisters. Most common being pompholyx, a type of hand eczema.
I would like to know
if these lesions are itchy
exact site of these blisters
your occupation
if these are seasonal or persist through out the year.
if these lesions resolve with peeling of skin

please attach an image of your hand too as in dermatology diagnosis is difficult without seeing the lesions.
Hoping to hear from you soon.

Follow-up: Have blister bumps on hands and is not going with cream and lotion. Treatment? 3 minutes later
Yes my skin is peeling pretty bad

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 minutes later
Please answer rest of the questions too.
I strongly suspect it to be pompholyx

To help with the same
use a mild soap to wash hands
wear gloves while cleaning vessels, clothes, cutting vegetables or doing house hold chores
avoid contact with chemicals, paints, fertilisers etc
moisturise your skin multiple times in a day
use a steroid cream for few days over hands like mometasone cream.

Hope that helped
take care

Here are some photos attached of the bumps

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 12 minutes later
Thanks for attaching the pics.
These look like pompholyx only.
Please follow the advise mentioned in previous post and to alleviate itch take oral antihistamine like cetirizine.
If in case lesions do not resolve with therapy mentioned, please consult a doctor so that if required oral steroids can be started.
Wishing you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Have blister bumps on hands and is not going with cream and lotion. Treatment? 7 minutes later
Is this common?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 11 hours later
HI,
Thanks for writing back.
Yes pompholyx is commonly seen in skin OPDs. It is just a type of eczema which can be treated easily.
Hope that answered your query.
Should there be any other query, please write back.

Follow-up: Have blister bumps on hands and is not going with cream and lotion. Treatment? 4 days later
How long will it take for this to go away

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
The resolution time required is variable.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.
The time required for resolution of lesion is variable and varies from person to person. It may recur again too and the recurrence is usually seen with season change.
If with steroid cream alone not having much response then please XXXXXXX a dermatologist nearby to start you on low dose oral steroids for better response.
Hope that helped.

Follow-up: Have blister bumps on hands and is not going with cream and lotion. Treatment? 5 days later
Bumps are fading away but still have the constant dryness in my skin even if i put lotion on or vaseline 5-10min later i have the same issue again i alway put it under water so they dont dry out

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Avoid washing hands frequently

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Continue with steroid cream till lesions fade completely.
Avoid washing hands frequently as it will strip off moisture from hands rendering it more dry.
Use a lactic acid or urea based moisturiser over hands multiple times in a day. These are available OTC or you may use cetaphil dam moisturiser or neutrogena cream for excessively dry hands.
Hope that will help you out.