Have bleeding ulcer and sore throat. Taking medicine and started lose motion. What should I do?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had an bleeding ulcer two months ago and now have gotten a sore throat cold is it ok to take mucinex.Also have been taking lansoprazole 1 time daily 30mg and also Carafate 4 times daily before meals, recently started getting pure clear water movements instead of normal stools, also same liquid squirt outs when farting. So I stopped these meds for a few days and. The problems stopped. mayo specialist would not call back but nurse said to try adding meds back 1 at a time or substituting Zantac for lansoprazole. Needless to say Kam reluctant to start that water evacuation problem again.I have no other stomach discomfort and am eating ok. W old welcome your advice and guidance
Posted Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 17 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

The following should be done -
1. An upper GI endoscopy again to know the status of the ulcer.
2. To check for H.pylori if not already done. If found to be positive, to take medications for treating it.
3. To continue taking lansoprazole. To take probiotic supplements along with it to prevent loose stools occuring again.

4. Yes, you can take mucinex.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have bleeding ulcer and sore throat. Taking medicine and started lose motion. What should I do? 5 hours later
Thank you for your reply.
Should I also restart the CARAFATE I was taking 4x daily before meals? After seeing what the restart of the lansoprazole with probiotic does.?
And if I restart the Carafate should I take probiotic each 4x. I take Carafate?.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 23 minutes later
Lansoprazole and probiotics are enough.
As said earlier, upper GI endoscopy should be done to assess the current status of the ulcer.
I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have bleeding ulcer and sore throat. Taking medicine and started lose motion. What should I do? 1 hour later
Thank you for excellent advice. I am not scheduled for endoscopy for 5weeks should I try to advance this to earlier date. It is two months since the last. Procedure.
And I understand that you suggest only the one a day lansoprazole with pro biotic And not to take Carafate any more?..
I appreciate your guidence.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
If possible, you can advance it.
Yes once a day lansoprazole and probiotics only.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini