Have black tongue, not bacterial or fungus but from papillae. Had floss and brushed tongue. Best solution to get rid of it?

wanting to know best solution to get rid of black tongue. My dentist said it's not bacterial or fungus but from papillae. She said just continue to brush tongue and continue with tongue scraper and give it time but it's been months. I've always had good oral hygeine. Floss once day and have brushed my tongue for 20 years. Will baking soda help or anything else!? XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Sharma 52 minutes later
Thanks for placing your query here.
I can appreciate your concerns.
Black tongue is nothing but overgrowth or failure of normal shedding pattern of filiform papillae, which are present around taste buds on the tongue.
Practicing good oral hygiene is the best way to treat black hairy tongue.
Gently brush your teeth twice a day with a soft toothbrush.
Also, brush your tongue.
You can use a tongue scraper to make sure you are thoroughly cleaning the area.
Drink plenty of water throughout the day to help keep your mouth clean.
Add more roughage to your diet. Soft foods won't clean off the tongue effectively.

Topical medications, such as tretinoin (Retin-A) are also sometimes prescribed.

As a last resort, if the problem does not improve, the papillae can be surgically clipped off with a laser or electrosurgery.

You should discuss the last two options with your dentist and seek referral to a dentist familiar with the technique.

Hope I have answered your query.

Best regards.