Have black lump on top of toenail. Have dropped some weight and bruise grows out. Suggest?

I have a black lump on top of my big toenail. When I first saw the discoloration, I thought I had dropped something on my toenail and the bruise would grow out. now it has become lumpy. Any idea what is going on?
Thank you
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fungal infection /subunqual exostosis.Upload photo

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using Healthcarmagic.

This may be fungal infection or subunqual exostosis.
Kindly upload the photo of it so that we can better diagnose.

The dark, moist surroundings created by shoes make the feet especially susceptible to fungal infection. this may present with itching and yellow to dark colour.

Exostosis is extra growth of bony tissue from nail.

So kindly upload the photo for us to diagnose.

Waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Have black lump on top of toenail. Have dropped some weight and bruise grows out. Suggest? 40 hours later
As requested, I downloaded a picture of the toe yesterday morning and still have not heard back from the Dr.!! It is 24 hours later!!
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hemorrhage. Absorb on its own or can be drained

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for uploading the photo.

This looks like hemorrhage below the nail and will take some weeks time to absorb on its own.
But I will be little concerned if there is any inflammatory signs or any infection where there will be pain, increased local temperature and redness. In such case the hemorrhage needs to be drained and local antibiotic and anti inflammatory drugs need to be taken.

To prevent any complications like infections you can consult your board certified doctor to drain this now. The part of nail that is affected may be required to remove but will regrow again. Till that time sterile dressing should be applied.

Hope this answered your query and if any related query please feel free to ask.
Wish you good health.