Have bites that look like red pricks. What bug can this be?

I have bites that I have gotten during the day, not at night. They look like little pin pricks or dots of red. What kind of bug might this be?
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later

Good of you to write in.

I can infer from the enclosed history that you are a diabetic lady and obviously an outdoor person. If, it is not very hot in your that is western part of the US, it is better keep yourself covered for harmless and painless bug bites which can lead to problems at times.

Do you have red ring or bull’s eye pattern then it might help in identifying the type of bugs.

Bull’s-eye patterns appear from the bites of Arachnids. This family includes spiders and ticks. Not all leave that bull’s-eye every time they bite. You do not get during night so it is not relevant bed bugs don't leave that bull’s-eye.

As to Lyme's Disease, it's carried by ticks alright (mostly in the Deer Tick, in America's - 4000 miles from you- Northeast, although Northern California gets some as do some spots in Asia (different species here). So far, almost all cases of Lyme's Disease start with a tick bite that bulls eyes. BUT not all bull’s-eyes cause Lyme's Disease. In fact, Lyme's disease is pretty rare when compared to the huge number of arachnidae bites we all experience.

As to treatment, mostly observation is the key.

If nothing happens and it goes away - great.

The following are the symptoms which would mean you would need medication attention,
1. If you start getting a high temperature
2. If the wound seeps or an open sore forms
3. If thread-like red lines appear, radiating from the wound
4. If it feels really hot to the touch after a day or two.
5. If flu-like symptoms develop.

Sometimes one can develop hypersensitivity / anaphylactic reactions following insect bites. If one starts having breathing problems reach emergency immediately.

If none of these things happen, keep the wound clean and watch it heal.

Hope I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you need any more help.

Dr Anil Grover
Follow-up: Have bites that look like red pricks. What bug can this be? 38 hours later
This doesn't help at all. The bites are not a bulls eye. But, I have seen more in the past day. I can't see a bug at all. They are red dots that swell like they are under the skin. Then in an hour or so they look like they have dried up. Sometimes they look like there are fang marks sort of. This make be more of a pest issue than a serious health problem. But, HELP!!
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Good of you to write again.

It is reassuring that bites are not of bulls eye type neither you have any other symptoms and these disappear or dry up. These are good signs.

Without having, the opportunity for you to see the bug except infer from ' fang marks' or for me to see the lesion except to infer that it is nothing serious we seem to come back to square one.

You have yourself observed these and found non-seriousness of bites. I have nothing to go further with. Can I urge you to see a local doctor when you have active marks and I am sure he/ she will confirm whatever we discussed. That should help.

Meanwhile, apply calamine lotion to the affected parts every 2 to 3 hours to soothen them and help in healing.

Good luck.

Dr Anil Grover