Have bipolar disorder and am at depression pole, suggested Nexito and Amitryn, passing urine and stools in bed. Is it due to bipolar disorder?

My father has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and is at the depression pole.He has been suggested Nexito plus three times a day and amitryn at night .For the last three days he is passing urine and feacating lying in bed .Is it due to the bipolar effect or should we show him to a neurologist
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 18 hours later

I have seen clinical profile as mentioned by you. If above medicines has been started recently, it could be due to side effects of drugs.

Amitryn is known to cause urinary retention, constipation, and disturbances in these two systems especially in the elderly. I doubt if it causes urinary and fecal incontinence.

It can be resolved by reducing/ discontinuation of drugs but prior consultation with the treating specialist is warranted. I suggest you to consult treating psychiatrist first. He may ask for blood counts, sugar, creatinine, liver function tests, electrolytes (sodium and potassium) depending upon clinical evaluation.

If above does not solve the problem then consultation with a neurologist may be obtained.

I hope to have answered your query. Please do write back for further queries, if you have.