Have bipolar disorder. Suggest alternate medicine for methylphenidate?

I can't get methylphenidate right now which I take for concentration. I have bipolar disorder. I have been tried on the extended release methylin but it totally knocks me out (sleep all day). What is a good substitute for methylphenidate until it is available again in a couple of months?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. The best way to improve concentration in bipolar mood problem is to improve the sleep quality.
Apart from methylphenidate which can enhance concentration, dextroamphetamine, however, can also do the same job.
Clonidine has been proved that increases the concentration ability. The person who takes clonidine should check his blood pressure since it can change blood pressure especially in the first a few days of its taking.
If somebody is sensitive to this effect of clonidine, can take guanfacine which does not alter the blood pressure or do it very little.
Let me know if you have any other question. I wish you a good health.