Have bicuspid aortic valve with moderate regurgitation. Is it safe to take adderall?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hello, I have a heart condition: bicuspid aortic valve with moderate regurgitation. I am a male 19 year old.

I wanted to know how risky it would be for my to take Adderall. I've read that caution is recommended in prescribing adderall for patients with congenital heart defects. This seems to be based off this report ( WWW.WWWW.WW involving 12 children suddenly dying while on adderall.

How much caution is called for? Does it make sense to weigh the benefits against the risks, or should adderall be completely off the table for me?

Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 11 hours later
Yes, there are definite concerns regarding the cardiac safety of it in many subsets. In addition, bicuspid aortic valve is one such situation. As the hypertrophy associated with it is substrate for arrhythmia. You need to be cautious. About continuing or discontinuing depends upon how bad is your symptom status as assessed by your psychiatrist.

If you have impairment in more than two areas and no other suitable alternative available, then only you should continue along with appropriate cardiac meds.

If no such concerns or alternative treatment is available, then you should consider them.

Let me know if you have more concerns.