Have bicornuate uterus and fluid on one side. Started getting severe pain. Suggested for surgery

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor, My cousin 12 years old started getting severe pain on abdomen for the last 3 weeks. After consultation and diagnosis our doctor suggested for a surgery, because she has Bicornuate Uterus and fluid on one side. Can you please explain and guide how it can be treated and surgery is compulsory ?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 35 minutes later
I saw your cousin's Ultrasound report.In the report,the radiologist reported as Bicornuate uterus with Hydrometrocolpos.
As per medical literature,this condition should be confirmed with ultrasound and Hysterosalpingography(HSG).MRI also confirms it.
Please get HSG test and confirm the diagnosis.
If the disease of bicornuate uterus is confirmed,Surgery has to be done.There is no role of medical treatment.
Hydrometrocolpos is collection of watery fluid in vagina and uterus.Bicornuate uterus is one of the conditions that cuase Hydrometrocolpos.A bicornuate uterus has two horns and heart shaped.
Surgery is done to create a large uterine cavity with minimal destruction of uterine tissue.Surgery helps in preventing many complications in future pregnancy.
Wish her good health
If you have any queries, i will clarify further

Follow-up: Have bicornuate uterus and fluid on one side. Started getting severe pain. Suggested for surgery 17 minutes later
Thanks for your quick action. Can you please guide me the best hospital in karnataka or kerala for this surgery and also if any specialists name
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 3 minutes later
I am very sorry.
I cannot suggest a particular hospital or specialist.
Please XXXXXXX a XXXXXXX Gynaecologist who has good surgical experience .
Wish her good health