Have benign fasiculation syndrome and benign PVC's. Will vasectomy disturb my autoimmune system? Is it safe?

I am 38 years old- Healthy with a couple of conditions- BFS- Benign fasiculation syndrome, and I also have what they tell me are Benign PVC's- other than that I am extremely active 38 year old - 6 foot 5 and around 211 pounds. I have four kids and me and my wife are thinking it might be the best option for me to have vasectomy. As I have been looking into this I am concerned about a few things:

The main concern I have is the autoimmune concerns due to anti-sperm bodies. What concerns me here is not only the possibility of having something go wrong in my autoimmune area, but also because I already have what they feel is an autoimmune disorder in my BFS. At this point I am just speculating, because I have no education in medical areas but what concerns me is that due to my autoimmune already acting up that this could potentially open me up to further complications in the area with my BFS (constant calf twitching) leading to ALS or MS or similar conditions or because something is not functioning right it could lead to other autoimmune conditions. In your professional opinion is this concern legitimate? I figured since you are a neurologist you could give me some guidance as to whether or not to pursue a vasectomy in your opinion.
Can you give me some guidance to my concerns? Do you think it is still safe for me to have a vasectomy?

Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the detailed descriptions provided to me you are suffering from BFS and benign PVC's which are not autoimmune in nature. Whether antibodies if present in the blood would cause autoimmune diseases like ALS and MS is not known and looks a remote possibility.

Regarding vasectomy and its deleterious side effects, numerous studies in vasectomized men show that antisperm antibodies develop following vasectomy which could be a chronic source of antigen-antibody complexes. These complexes can lead to extensive vascular pathology, including endothelial damage with consequent acute vasculities and chronic atherosclerosis. However long-term epidemiological studies are still needed to establish if vascular damage is a consequence of vasectomy.

My recommendation would be for you to choose other contraceptive options as we at present do not have long term studies about the side effects of vasectomy. Both BFS and bening PVC's are not autoimmune in nature and is unlikely to lead to MS or ALS in the near future.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.