Ask a Dentist   »  

Have been wearing an upper plate. Getting chronic pain. Is it TMJ?

I have been wearing an upper plate for 3 years now. It hasn't fit correctly, so I have an appt. to have it looked at, but I've come to realize that the pain and excessive difference in structure on the left appears to have something to do with an actual hard "boney?" bump or something on the gum next to where the top molars would be. I can't even figure out what part of the mouth it is, but it hinders my TMJ *alot* on that side. Is this natural change in formation of jaw based on dentures, or do you think I should be genuinely concerned? P.S. I've never been treated for the TMJ, but the pain is intense right now .. mostly near the bump, not the joint. <<< no smoking, drugs or alcohol in history, chronic pain, chronic vitamin/potassium deficiency just being *noticed,* although present for several years ... etc.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 40 minutes later
The plate, which you are talking about, is touching your palate and due to over extension it is impinging on the TMJ.
This chronic irritation by the plate is causing a nodular mass to develop at the TMJ and hence troubling you.
This is definitely a matter of concern.
I would suggest you to XXXXXXX your dentist and get an x XXXXXXX of the TMJ done. This will help in knowing whether there is only mucosal involvement or even bone is involved.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you