Have been told that Somnote has been discontinued. What is a reasonable substitute?

I have been told that Somnote has been discontinued. is this accurate and what is a reasonable substitute?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
SOMNOTE is CHLORAL HYDRATE and belongs to hypnotic group of drugs and is used to treat insomnia.
It has not been approved by US FDA and is on the list of unapproved drugs but it is still being used by many clinicians,although the prescriptions of this drug have been reuduced very much.
There are many substitutes of SOMNOTE which are available like...
WELL DORM etc and still many more...
This drug is a prescription based medicine and can not be procured as OTC drug.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck